Sunday, February 13, 2011

Old Post: Social Networks Causing Issues in Romantic Relationships

8/24/2010




When being a part of social networks, it’s always been a concern of mines when dating. As technology advances and the many electronic gadgets are available, who wouldn’t want to be a part of the new trends?


I remember when Myspace was popular I heard about messy break-ups from others about how their boyfriend would send girls comments that were inappropriate.

Today Myspace isn’t so popular. We have Facebook and Twitter which are the main social sites to be a part of. You have people on Twitter twitpic’ing provocative pictures that anyone can view. And just because your mate may not be on Twitter or following you doesn’t mean it’s ok.

I asked our fellow readers to participate in a poll. Check out the results below:

I wasn’t surprised when I seen the results from the poll. I think it’s logical to know that social networks play a negative part in romantic relationships at times.


I won’t call myself a victim, but I’ve experienced a few situations where Myspace caused some issues in my past relationship. I think there are ways to avoid certain things that occur when being a part of social networks & you’re in a relationship, but one must take the appropriate steps to allow the turnout to be successful.

Set boundaries! I can’t stress this enough. If you know what your mate expects from you, you know what not to do. Anything after that & if you get caught you can’t say “I didn’t know”.

You don’t have to stalk each other’s pages to see what’s going on. If you feel the need to do that there’s some trust issues there. And if you don’t trust your partner (for whatever reason) then let them go.
I then asked our Twitter followers over at www.twitter.com/glamchicwithus  what were their views about this topic. It was somewhat of a touchy topic for some, which is understandable if you’ve experienced this before.

But here are a few of the responses:

@KeairaMonique Don’t get me started with that subject!

@pooda Easy access to the opposite sex….

I then asked @GlamChicWithus: @pooda true I agree. But why do you think that’s an issue?

@pooda @GlamChicWithUs it’s an issue bc you are opening the door for possibility- you’re “cheating with your thoughts”

@pooda it’s kinda like a crime of opportunity…they entertain just bc there’s someone to receive it.

Anonymous: I feel that males use social networks more than females as a way to talk to females. There is something called emotional cheating, and people confuse that with “being cool” with the opposite sex.

Thank you to the ladies that responded to the #GlamQuestion via Twitter. Be on the lookout for more #GlamQuestion.

I also would like to know what the rest of you think. Has this been an issue in a past or present relationship? Or why do you think this is or isn’t an issue. Share your opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment :)